Saturday, June 04, 2005

Art, life and pro-materialism.

Met a friend, Charles, today. I was helping him out with his website, which needed some maintenance. He is a great painter, go check out his paintings!

We ended up chatting a lot, comparing lifestyles and views of life. Now Charles is the type that owns nothing else but what he needs. I.e clothing, paint material, a bike and kitchen utensils. Yes, no specific furniture, no bed, no interior stuff, rarely any books and no, no computer.

I'm fund of this lifestyle. Personally, I don't own much more than my computers, a desk, a thin mattress and a bunch of books. I like this lifestyle. I'd love to have all my books on my laptop instead, sad thing that's not possible yet.

Yes, I do prefer a concrete book, but I think one just has to get used to read books on the computer. I mean, we do read a lot of information from the computer screen, why not books? I like the development of Internet, I assume that we will soon be able to get about any media from the net.

Now don't get me wrong here, I think it's nice to have a bookshelf and records and everything. However, I figured that if I would leave those desires, I would end up with less material stuff, which I much prefer at this stage of my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know brother it's not about quantity. it's about quality.

Daniel said...

I'd say they are related, but I agree that one should not forget quality to quantity :)